Man and teenager accused of 83-year-old's murder appear in court
A 28-year-old man and 16-year-old boy have appeared in court accused of murdering an 83-year-old man at his home near Colchester.
Leighton Snook, of no fixed address, and the teenager, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday afternoon after first appearing at Colchester Magistrates' Court the same morning.
Both are charged with murdering Donald 'Don' Ralph, who was found dead at his home in Halstead Road, Aldham, on December 29.
Both also face a charge of theft of a motor vehicle, while Snook faces a further charge of possession of an offensive weapon.
A post-mortem examination found Mr Ralph had died from strangulation.
Judge Martyn Levett set a date for a three to four-week trial to begin on June 1.
There was no application for bail and the defendants were remanded in custody.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 3 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 4 Fire crews spend eight hours tackling north Suffolk field blaze overnight
- 5 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their Burton Albion win
- 7 'It's a very exciting time for us' - Suffolk golf club plans submitted
- 8 5 fantastic village shops to visit in Suffolk
- 9 Burton Albion 0-1 Ipswich Town: Harness wins it as Blues stand firm
- 10 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
A plea hearing will take place on March 23.
A further pre-trial hearing will take place on May 4.
Two men, aged 30 and 39, and a 21-year-old woman, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, have been released on police bail.