Man arrested in connection to Newmarket sexual assault bailed
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A 40-year-old man arrested in connection with a sexual assault in Newmarket has been bailed.
Police are renewing an appeal for witnesses to the incident, which took place on Newmarket High Street, near the cut through to Church Lane.
Officers were called to reports that a man had sexually assaulted a woman on January 30.
The assault took place between 4.30am and 5am, with members of the public intervening.
A man in his 40s was arrested on suspicion of attempted rape and taken to hospital as a result of injuries sustained during the incident.
The victim, a woman in her 20s, was treated at the scene by ambulance staff and continues to be supported by specially trained police officers.
After the suspect was discharged from hospital on January 2, he was taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 5 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
- 10 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
He has been released on bail until March 3, pending further enquiries.
Join our Suffolk Crime Watch Facebook group for all the latest crime news in the county.