Colchester murder trial into death of American woman delayed
- Credit: Lucy taylor
A man from Colchester due to stand trial accused of murdering a 21-year-old American woman has had his hearing delayed.
Adam Butt, 21, of Laing Road, Colchester, was charged with the murder of 21-year-old Mary Wells, who was originally from the US.
Ms Wells died despite the efforts of paramedics after she was found unresponsive at a Laing Road address in Colchester on January 17.
The case had been due to be heard today (Friday, August 6) art Chelmsford Crown Court but has now been pushed back to August 17 for a further case management hearing.
A provisional cause of death found that Ms Wells had died of stab wounds to the neck and to the torso.
She graduated Dallastown High School, in Pennsylvania, and was described as a “bright” woman.
Ms Wells' family paid tribute to her following her death: “Mary lost her mom a few years ago, but she had a goal to make her mom proud of her.
“She was looking to excel in life and will be loved and missed by all.”
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 6 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 7 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 8 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 9 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 10 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed