'Big mistake': Drink-driver who crashed into fence banned from roads
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
A drink-driver who crashed his car into a fence in Melton has been banned from the roads.
Matthew Smith, of Lloyd Road, pleaded guilty at Suffolk Magistrates' Court on Tuesday to driving while over the legal limit.
A member of the public had spotted a white Ford Fiesta being driven by Smith crash into a metal fence in Beadon Way on February 24.
The 40-year-old recorded 48 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath - over the legal limit of 35.
He told magistrates he had veered off the road after noticing a power steering warning light appear on the vehicle's dashboard.
Smith, who is self-employed, admitted he had made a "big mistake".
Magistrates banned Smith from driving for 12 months, which he will be able to reduce by 91 days if he undertakes a drivers' rehabilitation course.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 7 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 8 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 9 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
- 10 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
He was also ordered to pay a £450 fine, £105 in court costs and a £45 victim surcharge.