Jury set to retire in case of alleged Woodbridge kidnap and robbery

Gatis Heinrihsons, 37, of Woodside Close, Colchester, denied sexually assaulting a woman at Ipswich Crown Court.

The jury is expected to retire at Ipswich Crown Court - Credit: Charlotte Bond

The jury in the trial of four teenagers accused of being involved in the alleged kidnapping and robbery of a youth in Woodbridge is expected to retire to consider its verdicts this week.

Before Ipswich Crown Court are Kai Mangar, 19, of Brunswick Road, Ipswich, Dylan Craft, of Mill Lane, Felixstowe, Nolan Akuoko, 18, of Faraday Road, Ipswich, and a 17-year-old youth also from Ipswich, who can’t be named because of his age.

All four have denied kidnap and robbery. 

Mangar and the 17-year-old youth both chose not to give evidence during the trial.

Giving evidence last week, Akuoko said he had arranged to meet the alleged victim after advertising some cannabis he was selling via Snapchat. 

He said the alleged victim got into the car willingly and he denied robbing or threatening him with a liquid and claimed he was dropped off after an altercation in the car.

Akuoko said the alleged victim owed him £500 for cannabis he had previously supplied him and had transferred money to him on December 14. 

Most Read

Giving evidence, Craft claimed that the alleged victim had got into a car in which he was a passenger voluntarily to do a drug deal and hadn’t been kidnapped or robbed.

Craft told the court his co-defendant Kai Mangar had told him he was going to give another of their co-defendants, Nolan Akuoko, a lift and he had decided to go along with them.

He said that after the alleged victim had got into Mangar’s car voluntarily at Fen Meadow in Woodbridge there had been a fight between the alleged victim and Akuoko.

Craft said he and Mangar had intervened to break it up and things had calmed down but Akuoko and the alleged victim had both had some injuries.

He said the alleged victim had transferred money from his bank account and no-one had forced him to do it.

He denied that the alleged victim had been robbed of his coat and watch.

It has been claimed the teenager was lured to Fen Meadow by one of the defendants on December 14 last year and was then set upon by two others and bundled into the back of the VW Polo. 

Barristers in the case have given their closing speeches to the jury and the jury is expected to retire to consider its verdicts on Wednesday (July 13) or Thursday (July 14) after Judge Martyn Levett has completed his summing up.