Crucial foursomes wins see Felixstowe home in Stensono
- Credit: Archant
Felixstowe Ferry will meet Newton Green in the final of the Stenson Shield, Suffolk’s most meaningful inter-club knockout competition, at Hintlesham on September 14.
Felixstowe beat Gorleston by eight matches to four at Halesworth in one semi-final. Newton Green beat Southwold by seven and a half to four and a half in the other, in wet conditions at Ipswich.
Felixstowe set up the foundation for their victory with two crucial foursomes wins. Toby Spink and Steve Sayers birdied the last hole to beat Tommy Hunt and Chris Duffy one up.
Neil Meadows and John Blackmore were trailing against Steve Crosby and Kevin Woods for much of their match but hit back for a one-hole win. Early Felixstowe successes in the singles put the match out of Gorleston’s reach.
Newton Green led 3-1 after the foursomes against Southwold. Despite good singles wins by Tom Kirtley, Lewis Hague and Callum Monk the task proved too great for Southwold. Monk birdied the final two holes to beat Ian Woodhead. Southwold hope to have Ian Ledieu available for selection for the final.
Southwold’s Russell Palmer, five down against Simon Bearman at the turn, conceded. He was not enjoying the wet conditions.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 6 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 7 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 8 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 9 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR