Cycle King set to reopen at temporary store on Moreton Hall Estate, in Bury St Edmunds

The morning after the serious fire at Cycle King in Bury St Edmunds.

The morning after the serious fire at Cycle King in Bury St Edmunds. Picture: ANDY ABBOTT - Credit: Archant

A temporary home has been found for the fire hit Cycle King which was destroyed in a blaze.

While work continues at the damaged building on Angel Hill, in Bury St Edmunds, a store is to open later this month in Chamberlyne Road, on the Moreton Hall Estate, between Homebase and Matalan, near the Peugeot dealership.

It will mean it is open in good time for Christmas with 500 bikes on display along with accessories and a full repair service with promotional offers set to be launched.

Meanwhile, the neighbouring restaurant of Francela opened on Tuesday with the One Bull set to reopen in mid November.

Darren Hunt, the group retail managing director of Cycle King, who is based on the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire border, said the new store would open on Saturday, October 28,

You may also want to watch:

He said: “The pressure is on us and we need to get back open again.

“But the support we have had in the town has been phenominal. It’s been brilliant, absolutely amazing, from the council, other businesses, OurBurySt Edmunds (the town centre business improvement group) and our customers and we have been delighted with it all.

Most Read

“We did not realise how you become part of the community and it’s been totally overwhelming and incredible so we are keen to get our new temporary store open as soon as possible.”

He said that they were intending to make a return to Angel Hill but that may not happen until at least six month’s time.

“The premises is empty and they are removing the roof panels just for the safety aspect of working on the site and we are sure that the premises is a total loss. The floor is being inspected to see if there’s any damage there and it will be between six and 12 months for the rebuild to be completed.”

A 22-year-old man, from Stowmarket, and a 23-year-old man, from the Bury St Edmunds area, were arrested on suspicion of arson following the blaze on Friday, September 29, and, after receiving hospital treatment for the effects of breathing in smoke, were taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning.

They have now been released under investigation.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter