Suffolk MP joins the board of medical cannabis company
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
A Suffolk MP has joined the board of a medical cannabis research company, describing the firm's work as a "crucially important endeavour".
Dr Dan Poulter, MP for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich, has been appointed a non-executive director of Kanabo Group.
Dr Poulter, a former health minister, said: "As a doctor, I am increasingly aware of the potential of cannabis-based medicines.
"Cannabis products are fast becoming available that could deliver significant improvements to the lives of thousands of patients suffering from conditions ranging from chronic pain to post traumatic stress disorder.
"Kanabo is an established leader in medical cannabis research and innovation. As such, the company is creating a new standard in the industry by providing better and safer access to such cannabis medications.
You may also want to watch:
"I am pleased to be able to lend my knowledge and experience to the company’s work in this crucially important endeavour."
The Israel-based firm develops psychoactive cannabis-based products for people with central nervous system disorders, as well as non-psychoactive CBD products.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 7 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 8 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
- 9 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 10 Gameday: 'Lots of work to do' - Town fans on Millwall defeat
It has also developed a metred vape to allow patients to take the correct dosage.
Avihu Tamir, chief executive Kanabo Group, said: "Dan brings a wealth of knowledge and insight into the business that strengthens our team as we build a medicinal cannabis market in the UK and Europe."
David Tsur, chairman of the company's board, said: “We are delighted that Dr Dan Poulter has joined us and we’d like to warmly welcome him.
"It’s an exciting period for Kanabo to execute the company's business plan and to expand its activity and strategic partnerships.”
The Suffolk MP has previously voiced his support for the medicinal use of the drug in parliament.
In a 2018 debate he argued that drug laws prevented further research into the use of cannabis as a therapeutic treatment.
According to his parliamentary register of interests, Dr Poulter also works an average of 96 hours per month as an NHS Doctor for a hospital in London on top of his duties as MP.