Suspected burglar remanded in custody after police chase
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged over a spate of late-night thefts throughout Suffolk.
Suffolk police were called just before 2am on Saturday after receiving reports of a break-in at Martin’s Newsagents in Market Place, Saxmundham.
A concrete block had been used to smash the front door of the store, with cigarettes among the items stolen.
Around an hour later, police patrolling in Ipswich town centre spotted a Volkswagen Golf and signalled for it to stop. The driver failed to take notice and a police pursuit ensued.
The chase ended in Clapgate Lane where the car collided with a tree stump. The driver attempted to make off - but officers subsequently arrested a man from Stowmarket on suspicion of burglary, dangerous driving, failure to provide a specimen of breath and failing to stop a vehicle for police.
You may also want to watch:
Darrell Lambert was taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre following his arrest and subsequently charged with three counts of burglary, including a break-in at the McColls shop in Stoke Park Drive in Ipswich at around 1.50am on Friday, April 3 and the theft of alcohol and confectionery from Seckford Golf Club in Seckford Hall Road, Woodbridge at around 11.30pm later that day.
He was also charged with dangerous driving, taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence, failure to provide a specimen of breath and driving without appropriate motor insurance.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Lambert appeared before Ipswich Magistrates’ Court on Monday, April 6 and has been remanded in custody to appear before Ipswich Crown Court on May 5.