Date is set for inquest into alleged murderer’s death

IPSWICH: An inquest into the death of a man who is believed to have murdered his wife before taking his own life in prison is due to be held in November.

Mariusz Lipinski was charged with murder after his estranged spouse Malgorzata Lipinska died from multiple stab wounds in the stairwell at the Duke Streets flats where she lived.

However, despite being on suicide watch, Lipinski, formerly of Siloam Place, Ipswich, was found dead in his cell at Norwich Prison within 12 hours of arriving at the jail.

The 38-year-old’s inquest is due to be held on November 30, according to a spokeswoman for the Norfolk coroner’s office.

The hearing is scheduled to last for four days and will be held before a jury.

You may also want to watch:

It will take place at the Assembly Rooms in Theatre Street, Norwich, and be overseen by William Armstrong, HM Coroner for Norfolk.

Nine witnesses are expected to be called to give evidence.

Most Read

Lipinski’s body was found in his cell at just after 3.15am on July 29 last year.

Although the Ministry of Justice declined to state how the chronic alcoholic died, at the time it was reported that he had self-inflicted injuries to his wrists.

The inquest will put the prison’s record over suicides back in the spotlight. Lipinski was the 20th death in custody at the jail in nine years.

In 2005 the Howard League for Penal Reform blamed overcrowding for seven deaths since the start of 2004.

The suicide rate was reduced to one in 2006. However, between late December 2008 and the end of January 2009 three men were found hanged at the jail.

Mrs Lipinska, 38, whose relationship with Lipinski had been punctuated by domestic violence, died in a frenzied attack. Her body was found around noon on July 24.

The Polish nationals had been married for around 15 years. When Lipinski was arrested by armed police on Stoke Bridge in Ipswich, at around 5.30pm the same day, he had his wife’s blood on him.

He was charged with murder on July 27 and appeared before Ipswich magistrates the following day, before being remanded in custody to Norwich Prison.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus