Days Gone By: Christmas memories of Ipswich’s former Crown and Anchor pub
Christmas 1986 saw the end of centuries of history in Ipswich town centre when the Crown and Anchor in Westgate Street closed for the last time.
It was built on the site of older inns dating back to the sixteenth century, including the Chequers, which was also known as the Rampant Horse and the Griffin.
In 1838 the site was cleared and part of the Crown and Anchor was built in the 1840s. The ornate gothic front was built in the late 1890s.
Other memories of Christmases past featured this week are of decorations made at Martlesham, for local and national use, and a Hadleigh reader has sent a 1951 brochure for an Ipswich shop’s Christmas stock, showing how prices have changed and that some of the games featured are still popular.
Do you recognise anybody featured? To submit a letter, in less than 300 words, write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or send an e-mail here.