Days Gone By: Memories of when Eastern Counties Motor Club held auto tests in Felixstowe
- Credit: Archant
Do you remember when large crowds descended on Felixstowe seafront in 1973 as the Eastern Counties Motor Club held at auto test event?
It was an event full of variety, with cars from Mini’s to Austin Healey’s taking part, racing around a course set out in a car park close to Felixstowe seafront.
The motor club itself was formed in the early 1950s by enthusiasts wanting to test their cars out in a sporting environment and push their motors the limit.
The club started out with small beginnings in Fersfield in Norfolk, near Diss, but soon after become the first to run a race meeting at Snetterton Airfield. It is still in existence today.
This auto test tasked participants with driving around tight corners marked by cones and finishing in a marked out ‘garage’ in the quickest time.
You may also want to watch:
To share your memories with us, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship