Washing machine catches fire and nearly spreads to house
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters in Essex said they were “lucky” to stop an electrical fault turning into a fully-fledged house fire - and have now warned others not to try DIY wiring.
Crews were called to the house fire in Wivenhoe on Thursday, April 11 after smoke started to come from a washing machine.
When they got to the kitchen they found the machine in an under-counter cupboard, managed to get the appliance out and extinguish the flames at the back of the unit.
The fire had started accidentally due to an electrical cable which had been dangerously repaired.
Andy Edwards, Colchester fire station crew manager, said: “Incidents like this show how important it is to always get an approved electrician to do any electrical work in your home.
You may also want to watch:
“Sometimes these little jobs look like an easy job, but all electricals pose a fire risk and unless you are a qualified electrician, you shouldn’t attempt to have a go yourself.
“Due to the unsafe connection, this plug overheated and it was only by luck that it was caught early enough and didn’t spread into a high fire.”
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 5 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 6 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
Essex firefighters will provide smoke alarms for free to any properties that require them and ask homeowners and landlords to call 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book