Deadline looms on offers of land for sport pitches in Stowmarket. What do you think of the town’s facilities?
- Credit: Archant
An urgent call for landowners to come forward and offer plots to meet the growing demands of a town’s sports clubs has been made.
Stowmarket’s sports and leisure teams have joined forces with the town and district councils with the running of a new Sports Forum. It aims to progress proposals to build new facilities, specifically all-weather pitches.
Thousands of new homes are due to be built over the next few years – adding to the demands on the town’s existing sporting infrastructure.
Gary Green, county councillor for Stowmarket North and Stowupland, was at the most recent Sports Forum meeting held on Monday.
He said: “It’s all about small steps – get the clubs together get the land bids identifying the places then we can move forward.
“It’s the land issue that everyone seems to come up with more problems than the funding.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Green said he was expecting more than two teams to turn up to the meeting, which focused on outdoors sports. The two clubs which attended were Stowmarket Town FC and Stowupland Falcons FC.
The two clubs have around 40 youth teams between them are in desperate need of new pitches, Mr Green added.
Landowners have until 5pm tomorrow to submit their site for consideration to Mid Suffolk District Council.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 Photos released in connection with two indecent exposure incidents
The next Sports Forum meeting for indoor sports clubs is on Monday at 7pm at the town council’s offices.