Crack and heroin dealer jailed for seven years
- Credit: Archant
A drug dealer from Essex has been jailed for seven years after he was found in possession of more than £16,000 worth of crack, heroin and crack cocaine.
Johnny Cox, of Atlantic Road, Lambeth, was arrested in Colchester town centre with large quantities of drugs and cash, including more than 500 wraps of crack cocaine.
He was later found guilty of two counts of possessing class A drugs with intent to supply and acquiring criminal property.
Cox was sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court on Friday, November 23.
Following sentencing, investigating officer PC James Pamment described Cox as a major dealer in the area.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “There is absolutely no doubt that Cox was intent on flooding the streets of our county with Class A drugs.
“He had enough heroin and crack cocaine to facilitate hundreds of drug deals.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 5 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 9 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
“Unfortunately for Cox, we were always one step behind him and arrested him and seized his drugs and cash.
“Now he has a significant number of years behind bars to consider an alternative career when he eventually gets released.”
The court heard how officers were patrolling Christopher Jolly Court in Colchester on December 4, 2017, when officers noticed the smell of cannabis coming from a Renault Megane on the street.
Officers approached the vehicle only for the men inside it to bolt.
Police carried out an extensive search of the car and a coat that Cox dropped when he fled the scene.
Officers found £7,893 in cash, 518 individual wraps of crack cocaine, nearly 40g of heroin and 76g of crack.
The street value of the drugs seized was £16,740.
The car was forensically linked to Cox leading to his arrest.
If you have information about drug or gang-related crime in your community contact Essex Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.