Death crash driver loses licence bid

DEATH crash driver Christopher Bainbridge remains off the road today after a judge turned down his bid to have his licence back early.

Naomi Cassidy

DEATH crash driver Christopher Bainbridge remains off the road today after a judge turned down his bid to have his licence back early.

Despite being responsible for the death of a grandmother and causing serious injuries to a little boy and his granddad, Bainbridge thought he had done enough to be allowed back on to Ipswich's roads even though his ban should run until next year.

But a judge sitting at Ipswich Crown Court today told him his three year ban was meant as a punishment and should stand.


You may also want to watch:


Relatives of the woman who died in the crash Bainbridge caused on London Road, Ipswich, in August 2005 welcomed the judge's ruling.

Shaun Seymour, the son of Christine Seymour who was killed in the crash, said after the case: “The way it was put across we thought he would get it.

Most Read

“At the end of the day the law is there for a reason. This is fantastic news.”

During the hearing lawyer Helen Chapman said Bainbridge was remorseful and had made good achievements in prison.

She said: “He has made exemplary steps. He is asking for his licence back so he can make further steps on an employment capacity.”

The court heard Bainbridge now works for a wildlife charity part time and needed a licence to be able to ferry children between three different sites.

Judge Peter Thompson said: “There is no question he is a man who has done his very best to show remorse.

“I give him full credit for what he has done however it seems there is no real justification for reducing this disqualification.

“The three years were intended to be a punishment, which in my judgement must continue.”

Bainbridge refused to comment after his unsuccessful application to the court and left the complex via a rear entrance.

He was jailed for the crime in 2006 and banned from the roads for three years. He went back before Ipswich Crown Court today to apply for his licence to be reinstated eight months early.

But Mr Seymour, who lives in north west Ipswich, and his family were furious at his actions. Mr Seymour's father Brian and son Kieran suffered serious injuries in the crash.

The 37-year-old said: “I hit the roof when I found out what was happening. It is an insult.

“What does he think about my family that he can do this?”

Mr Seymour's father, Brian now 69, who lost both his legs in the accident on August 18 2005, could not face going to court as he is still coming to terms with everything.

Bainbridge was speeding on his motorbike when it slammed into Mr Seymour, his wife Christine, 58 and their grandchildren, Kieran who was six at the time and Ethan who was two, as they were crossing the road.

During his trial it was revealed that Bainbridge, of Lincoln Close, Ipswich had been rushing to a hair appointment in Colchester and had been travelling at between 60-80mph in a 40mph limit.

He was sentenced to three and a half years in prison, but served half that and was released in January.

After two years of being disqualified from driving, motorists are allowed to make an application to have it back under the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1998.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter