Debenham: Community bidding for contest prize
A VILLAGE is fighting back against the economic gloom by urging people from far and wide to come and spend their money in the high street.
Debenham has put itself forward as a candidate for the EADT’s Suffolk Village of the Year competition.
The competition which is sponsored by UK Power Networks, is open to villages with 501 to 3,000 local government electors and will be awarding prizes to the community who shows the most enthusiasm for village life.
The EADT has just launched its Year of the Village campaign, to celebrate and support everything that is good about village life.
Debenham which sits on the B1077 between Stowmarket and Framlingham, has a population of just over 2,000.
Ruth Boulton, owner of family run Webster’s newsagents said: “People are more flexible with the way they shop, they pick up what they want when they want it and so we have to cater for everybody.
“People are able to travel and so we hope people travel into Debenham because we love people coming into the village.”
- 1 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 2 Norwood holds talks with one of Town's fellow League One rivals
- 3 Investigations continuing after man suffers serious injuries in crash
- 4 See inside stunning £1.85M home with 'fabulous' outside pool and paddocks
- 5 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 6 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 7 Missing 17-year-old boy found safe
- 8 Gameday: 'Great to be back!' Blue Army at Needham give their thoughts
- 9 Hunt continues for group of youths who pushed man to ground and stole bike
- 10 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
Debenham offers many different shops including a green grocers, butchers, bakers, florists, antiques, hardware, pottery, jewellers and art gallery.
There are two pubs, the Woolpack and the Angel, and several cafes.
Services include a post office, library, pharmacy, doctors, police station and fire station.
District and borough councils will be sending out entry forms and information to every eligible parish. When you have completed your entry form, send it back to your district or borough council representative. The deadline for entries is May 14.