Debenham: Drama group’s bid for new costume building
AN AMATEUR dramatics group is raising money for a new facility to keep their costumes, lighting and sound equipment.
Debenham Players need cash to replace their existing portable building, which is in a state of disrepair.
The group is currently preparing for its pantomime performance of Beauty and the Beast, which will help raise money for the new facility through ticket sales.
A cast of 20 is set to put on the show next January.
Committee member Chris Hutchinson said: “We had a major clear out of the portable building, and we had to throw away half of the costumes. The cabin’s been there for about 10 years. The main cost that we have will be the removal of the portable building.
You may also want to watch:
“There are so many holes in the portable building, it will only last another year or so.”
He said it would take two years to raise enough money to support the group’s new cabin.
- 1 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 8 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 9 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 10 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
The players are looking at buying a new portable building to store all their equipment.
He said the cost of a new portable building would be about �2,000.
The pantomime shows will take place at Debenham Community Centre on January 24, 25 and 26.
Evening performances begin at 7.30pm with the Saturday matinee performance taking place at 2.30pm.
Director of the show Oliver Hallpike said the cast had been “progressing really well” in rehearsals.
He added: “The hope now is that the fun we’re having in the rehearsal room will be translated on to the stage in January.”
Tickets are available online at www.debenham-players.org.uk or from the Deben Rose, 6 High Street, Debenham, Stowmarket IP14 6QJ, call 01728 860190. The Debenham Players traditionally donate 10% of their ticket sales to a nominated charity.