Debenham: Owners put forward rescue plan for closed Angel Pub
- Credit: Archant
PLANS to save a pub from closure have been put forward by the owners who have pledged their “time, money and love” to keep it open.
Nick and Stacey Paine said they had closed The Angel, in Debenham, because of “market conditions and the costs of running a public house”.
But now Mr and Mrs Paine have spoken to Mid Suffolk District Council about reducing the size of the pub to try to reopen it.
Despite the news, the pub’s owners have said they have been “hurt” by “malicious bullying” over the way they have run the business.
A message posted on the Debenham village website by Nick and Stacey Paine said: “We both cared deeply about the work we did at The Angel, and despite the reams of positive testimony we received, we have been hurt by both the direct and indirect insults that have been levelled at us.
You may also want to watch:
“This emotional turmoil makes it very difficult to progress with running our business. Leaving it (the pub) as it is, is not an option we will be pursuing. There are three routes available to us – make it smaller and have it run by an experienced local licensee, open it as retail/café or close it altogether.
“We ask for the sake of progress in getting the pub reopened that people take this on board and offer their support instead of pursuing their ideal outcome which is not based on factual information or being offered as a possibility.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
“We would like to get the pub reopened as soon as possible; I hope that the village feels the same.”
The Paines have said they hope to reopen within the next couple of months with a new landlord running the pub.
Mrs Paine, 31, said: “I do generally believe that the pub will be kept open but it needs to be in a way that is sustainable. Our interest is for it not to close.
“There’s not a huge queue of people who want to go into pubs but this situation will give it the best chance of making it a success.”
A statement from Debenham Parish Council said: “There have been several recent comments about the future plans for The Angel public house. The parish council will be notified of any plans submitted by the owners of The Angel to Mid Suffolk District Council.
“Whatever these plans relate to, the parish council will have them as an agenda item at the next available parish council meeting. Until such time that plans are submitted to Mid Suffolk, the parish council is not in a position to make a comment on the matter.”