Debenham: Pool bid gets £20,000 boost from Mid Suffolk District Council
- Credit: Archant
A project to get a swimming pool constructed in a Suffolk village has been boosted after it got a £20,000 grant.
Debenham Community Pool Project has now raised almost £50,000 which is about a quarter of the total needed.
The £20,000 grant for the pool, which is to be built at the village primary school, has come from Mid Suffolk District Council.
Chairman of the pool project, Sacha Feeney-Howells, said they were now looking to bid for a £100,000 Sport England grant.
She said: “We are still very actively fundraising. The biggest thing is that we are working closely with the Amateur Swimming Association which is helping us with the bid.
You may also want to watch:
“The village support for the project has been overwhelming. We will probably find when the pool is built there will not be enough room for everyone to use it. Getting it used will not be a problem.
“By getting the grant from Mid Suffolk it shows organisations that we are serious. The more we get, the more confident other funders will be.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
The fundraising music event ‘Rocktober’ will be held again this year. Debenham High School will host the night, for adults only, on October 5, between 7-11pm.
The pool committee organised a fun run earlier in the year with 10km, 5km and 1km races on offer.
Suffolk County Council has also pledged more than £22,000 to the project.
The heated outdoor swimming pool would be available to use throughout the year by the community. The school’s existing pool was built in the 1950s.
For more information on the project go to www.debenhamcommunityswimmingpool.org.uk