Debenham: Project to build village swimming pool bids for £110,000 of funding
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The organisers behind a £220,000 project to build a swimming pool for their village have bid for half the money needed.
About £65,000 has so far been raised for the community of Debenham to have access to their own pool which would be built at the primary school.
The money has been raised through business donations, grants and the project’s own fundraising events.
But now, a crucial bid for £110,000 has been submitted to Sport England to get closer to the fundraising target.
Chairman of the Debenham Community Swimming Pool Project, Sacha Feeney-Howells, said: “We have overwhelming support from all the community. We have numerous letters of support and importantly intent to use letters from not only Debenham Primary School but three other local schools.
“External funding bodies have been and will be approached for the main project costs, but the large and wonderful fundraising committee works so hard and will continue to do so, to raise awareness and funds.
“Our music fundraiser – Rocktober – a live music event in October raised £1,500. Our last fundraiser – a quiz night on Friday November 15 – raised an amazing £760 – a packed school hall included a wide and varied collection of Debenham’s supportive community.”
Planning permission for the pool has been granted and an archaeological dig completed.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 4 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 5 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 6 ‘I think we sell one of the best Sunday roasts in Suffolk,’ says landlord
- 7 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 'It's going great' - New pizzeria proving a hit in east Suffolk town
- 10 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
The pool would measure 18metres by six metres and have a maximum depth of 1.4m. It would be designed to enable both children and adults to swim in a heated and enclosed pool throughout the year.
Grants from Suffolk County Council, £22,500, Mid Suffolk District Council, £10,000 have gone towards the total required.
Further applications for funding are now being prepared. The project had a similar bid for Sport England money rejected last year.
Anyone who like to find out more and support the project should call 01728 860858, or visit www.debenhamcommunityswimmingpool.org.uk