Debenham: Pupils are sent home due to fire at Debenham High School
- Credit: Archant
Pupils were evacuated yesterday after a fire began in a boys’ toilet block at a school.
The blaze broke out at Debenham High School in Gracechurch Street, Debenham, at around noon.
It is believed the fire mainly caused smoke damage. However a cubicle and toilet roll-holder were destroyed.
The school has 650 pupils. Headteacher Julia Upton said yesterday: “We had a small fire at the school today. We are working with the fire service to investigate the incident.
“We did evacuate the school and send pupils home which is obviously because the safety of pupils and staff is paramount to us. It was a precautionary measure as much as anything else.
You may also want to watch:
“We will be open as expected tomorrow [December 10].”
Miss Upton said only minor damage had been caused. “We are not aware of how the fire started at the present time.”
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 8 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 9 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 10 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
A spokesman for Suffolk police said the force had been contacted at 1.30pm by the fire service saying they had been to the school at noon following a fire in a boys’ cubicle.
“We are looking into whether it is suspicious or not,” he said.
One appliance from Debenham and a second from Eye were sent to the scene.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to fight the fire and the incident was under control by 12.56pm.