Debenham: Race day organised to raise money for swimming pool project
- Credit: Contributed
A RACE day will help raise money for a village’s swimming pool project which needs £200,000.
So far about £28,000 has been raised for the swimming pool, which would be built at Sir Robert Hitcham School, in Debenham.
The pool’s committee is hoping the mix of 5km and 10km races will attract hundreds of people to the event.
Committee chairman Sacha Feeney-Howells said: “This fun run is with the support of all the community and we are doing it with Debenham Sports and Leisure centre.
“Hopefully we will do it each year; running is so popular at the moment in the village. We can cater for any amount of numbers and everyone gets a goody bag.
You may also want to watch:
“Having it at the leisure centre is brilliant, because we will have all the facilities that we need.
“The project really does hinge on getting the big grants and Sport England seems the best to apply to. The community has wanted a swimming pool here for 30 years, but we are now definitely getting somewhere with it.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 5 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 WATCH as man calmly rips wooden gate off hinges before walking away
- 9 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
The committee is expecting to hear back on a grant application to Mid Suffolk District council for £20,000 shortly.
A bid for £100,000 of Sport England money was declined last December. But Mrs Feeney-Howells said the committee had been invited to bid again later this year.
The races will take place on Saturday, May 18. Registration is from 8.45am, with the races starting at 9.30am. There will also be a 1km run. For more details and to register online, go to www.debenhamcommunityswimmingpool.org.uk