Debenham: Road safety a priority for high school students
- Credit: Archant
STUDENTS have been improving road safety by selling reflective kit to youngsters to use on the roads when they travel to and from school.
Year 10 students from Debenham High School started their company called You.N.G as part of their extra-curriculum activities.
Teacher Jane Wilson, who has been involved in the project, said: “How the children approached it was they visited lots of local primary school in the area. The students have been encouraging road safety officers in the primary schools to sell the products. They met with the road safety team at Suffolk County Council.
“The road safety team were able to give them a strategy to make their campaign very relevant and real.
“The students had a real opportunity to run a business, they have all been in different roles - managing director, finance director.
You may also want to watch:
“They’ve learnt how to keep financial records, how run meetings, marketing, advice.
“They have been running the company since October until the end of February. They made £1,127 sales revenue and a £748.89 profit.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 5 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 WATCH as man calmly rips wooden gate off hinges before walking away
- 9 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
“It has given them the skills to run a business and business awareness. Their real dedication has been superb. They’ve had a real opportunity to meet deadlines.”
The students have been selling the kit which includes, snap bands, key rings and hang tags, to Helmingham Primary School, Sir Robert Hitcham School in Debenham, Stonham Aspal CEVA Primary School and Sir Robert Hitcham CEVA School in Framlingham.
Road safety was highlighted by teachers as a business opportunity with the schools all being in rural areas.
You.N.G is entering the Suffolk Young Enterprise Business Awards and will then hope to go to the regional and national finals.