Debenham: Street Fair to make a return with bands, stalls and carnival-style atmosphere
- Credit: Contributed
A popular street fair is to make a return after it was taken off a village’s calendar of events for three years.
Debenham is once again going to be filled with crowds, stalls and live music after a new group vowed to bring back its street fair.
Around 3,000 visitors came to the picturesque village in mid Suffolk when the event last ran in 2010.
Now the organisers are hoping to replicate the carnival-style atmosphere on June 29 from noon to 5pm.
Richard Sharp, 40, who is on the fair’s three-man committee attended a Debenham Parish Council meeting on Monday where councillors agreed to help fund the event with £1,000.
Matthew Hicks, county councillor for the area, has given £750 from his budget.
Mr Sharp said: “It’s such a fantastic community event in the village – it brought the whole village out.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 4 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 5 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 6 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 7 Project to keep Suffolk pub 'protected for years' turned down
- 8 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 9 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
- 10 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
“It’s been sorely missed by residents and the wider community around Debenham.
“Everyone always talks about it and asked if it was going to come back, so we decided to see if we were able to get it back and this is where we are now.”
He said businesses had already given their backing to the event and fund some of its overall costs of £3,500.
There was some concern about the level of funding requested from the parish council – previously it was about £250.
But Steve Palframan, the council’s deputy chairman, said it was important for the authority to support the fair. Councillor Jack Abbott said: “Three thousand people might come to it, which would be fantastic. It would be a brilliant advert for Debenham and something we should be supporting.”
Fellow councillor David Hughes said the £1,000 would act as a “real inventive” for the group to make it a success.
The organisers need stallholders, anyone interested should email firstname.lastname@example.org