Debenham: Summer Sizzler fete set for record breaking year
THE organisers of this year’s Summer Sizzler are hoping to smash last year’s record fundraising event which raised more than �4,000.
The summer fete event, organised by the Friends of Sir Robert Hitcham School in Debenham, will kick-off on Friday, July 6 at 5pm and go on until 8pm.
Jane Taylor headteacher said: “The staff and pupils of Sir Robert Hitcham School would like to take this opportunity to thank the Friends of the school publicly for their hard work over the past 12 months.
“They have organised many very successful event and sourced grants which have raised money to fund resources and activities to enrich the children’s education.
“In these times of tightening budgets we are in even more need of your support at events like the Summer Sizzler to ensure we can provide a wide a varied educational experience for your children.”
This year will see all the money raised go towards purchasing new ICT equipment.
Mrs Taylor will open the event which will be followed by a maypole dance performance by school children.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 3 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 4 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 10 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
The village’s MP, Dr Dan Poulter will be on hand to give our awards at 7pm.
A fancy dress competition with the theme of Olympic and sporting heroes, a family disco, fun races and a tug of war will be among some of the attractions on offer.
The Friends of Sir Robert Hitcham School is a charitable organisation which holds events for the benefit of the community and raises funds for the children of the Primary School.
Jane Simpson, member of the Friends of Sir Robert Hitcham School said: “The friends started about 25 years ago and the Summer Sizzler is now one of the biggest events. We are aiming to raise at least �5,000 this year.”
The Friends committee and staff have so far won more than �4,000 in grant funding which has helped to purchase new school equipment.
Howard Simpson, chair of governors, said: “The past year has been one of the best years ever, and without these funds, it would not be possible to buy the many extras that are enjoyed by all the pupils. We must not forget that the Friends are all volunteers, and we rely on them and the community to raise this much-needed money.”
Children’s fun races will start on the day at 6.45pm.