Defendant thought alleged victim was dead
A MAN accused of being involved in a violent gang attack on an Ipswich man at a local beauty spot told police that when he saw the alleged victim lying motionless on the ground he thought he was dead.
During interviews with police following his arrest last May, Darren Gorham denied being involved in the attack on 21-year-old Liam Rumsey and claimed that two other men had been responsible for his injuries.
Ipswich Crown Court has heard that Mr Rumsey of Atherton Road, Ipswich, suffered serious head injuries after allegedly being attacked by a gang of young men on May 3 last year, which was a Bank Holiday Monday.
Before the court are Darren Gorham, 22, of Marigold Avenue, Ipswich, Matthew Osborn, 22, of Valiant Road, De Brink on the Green, Martlesham, and Lewis Dowe, 22, of Ramsey Close, Ipswich. They have all denied wounding Mr Rumsey with intent to do him grievous bodily harm.
During police interviews which were read to the jury yesterday, Gorham said he had gone to Orwell Country Park with Dowe, who allegedly told him that Kristin Burns’ boyfriend David Cooper was taking her ex-boyfriend to the beauty spot to beat him up.
You may also want to watch:
Gorham said he thought there was going to be a fist fight between Cooper and Mr Rumsey and had felt sick when he saw Cooper go to the boot of his car and take out a wooden pole.
He said he and Dowe had not wanted to get involved in the violence and had gone into the park hoping to see Mr Rumsey to warn him.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 3 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 8 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 9 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
The trial continues today.