Long tailbacks near Stansted Airport after serious incident on M11
- Credit: COLIN SHEAD
The M11 was completely closed near Stansted Airport following a serious incident in the early hours of this morning.
Essex Police took the lead on the incident, which shut the road overnight in both directions between junctions seven (A414/Harlow) and eight (A120/Stansted).
Officers warned the incident was likely to cause “significant disruption” to road users, and people were advised to follow diversions.
Highways England also warned motorists to avoid the area.
The nature of the incident is not yet clear.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Essex Police said earlier this morning: “Officers are currently at the scene of an incident on the M11.
“The road has been shut southbound between Junction 7 and 8.
- 1 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 2 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 6 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 7 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 8 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 9 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 10 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
“Diversions are currently in place and is likely to cause significant disruption to road users. Please allow extra time for your journey and avoid the area where possible.”