Denham: Villagers’ anger at turbine plan in The Street
- Credit: Archant
Anger has been expressed at plans to construct a wind turbine which could obstruct views across a “beautiful” part of Suffolk.
Villagers came to an Eye Town Council meeting to vent their feelings over the proposals for the site in nearby Denham.
The turbine would be almost 43metres (about 141 feet) tall if it is to be constructed in The Street.
Town councillor Andrew Evitt spoke out against the turbine plan. He said: “It will be very visible, but it’s a bit difficult for me as I ought to declare an interest – I have a real problem with them, they are the most appalling waste of money and they do have an impact on the visual environment.
“That area is Suffolk personified – it is quite beautiful and whatever you say it will totally alter the ambience of it.”
You may also want to watch:
The agent for the applicant, Mosscliff Environmental Limited, said the turbine had been designed to create as little visual impact as possible.
District and town councillor Charles Flatman wished to back the villagers who attended the meeting. He said: “We should listen to what the people of Denham are saying – they appear to me to be totally against it. I feel we should move to support the parish council.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 5 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 9 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 10 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
The proposals were discussed by Eye Town Council as the site lies within its boundary.
But when Denham Parish Council was also asked to comment the authority said it “could not support” the proposals.
Parish councillors said maps which showed hedgerows screening the turbine were out-of-date.
A spokesman for the agent said: “I think it’s important to look at the conservation officer’s comments as he supported the application. We have sited the turbine in a way to reduce any potential impact and we feel the benefits far outweigh any negative impact that may come from it.”
Eye Town Council voted against the proposals. Mid Suffolk District Council is expected to make the final decision on the plans in the coming weeks.