Detectives question murder suspect

<legalled by Jaffa>

IPSWICH: Detectives spent yesterday questioning a murder suspect following the death of Karl Crisp after he collapsed at a house in Landseer Road.

Officers arrested the 36-year-old suspect at his home in North Hill Walk in Ipswich, in an early morning swoop.

Although the deceased has not been formally named by police, he has been named locally as 38-year-old Mr Crisp.

The suspect was taken into custody at 12.30am yesterday and quizzed during the day by officers from Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team.

You may also want to watch:

Meanwhile, an officer in a patrol car was stationed at the man’s home - which is one of around seven houses in a private area set back off North Hill Gardens, near the junction with Woodbridge Road. During the morning an area to the side of the suspect’s property was sealed off.

Although police would not say whether it was believed to be the potential crime scene, steps leading down to a door below ground level were cordoned off by tape.

Most Read

Later in the day the entrance leading to parking spaces allocated to the residents in front of the houses was also taped off.

Scenes of crime officers were said to be at the house, which backs on to the Duke of York pub.

Residents were surprised to find a police presence at the houses when they awoke.

One said: “My girlfriend texted me this morning to say there were police officers here.”

Staff at Ipswich Hospital alerted police late on Sunday night after they had concerns over the cause of Mr Crisp’s death.

It is believed he may have been involved in a dispute several days earlier.

Neighbours said Mr Crisp may have sustained an injury to his head during the alleged altercation.

An ambulance and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the Landseer Road home Mr Crisp shared with his partner and two of her three daughters.

When paramedics arrived just after 6.05am, it is believed Mr Crisp was having a fit or seizure.

He was taken to the Heath Road hospital, but his condition continued to deteriorate and he died there later in the day.

Hospital staff alerted police late on Sunday night after having concerns about how Mr Crisp died.

Louise Rosher, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “As a result of police enquiries, the death is now being treated as suspicious and has been referred to the coroner.

“A post mortem will be conducted in due course.”

Any witnesses or anyone with any information in relation to this incident is asked to call Suffolk Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus