Diamond wedding anniversary joy for smitten Stowmarket couple who claim they have never had an argument
A smitten Stowmarket couple who fell in love at first sight have confessed they would not change each other for the world as they prepare to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary.
Enid and Roger Mayhew met at Haughley Village Hall – and their long-lasting romance has managed to overcome every obstacle thrown in its path, including Roger’s three-year stint in the army.
But there is one hurdle that the couple, who have travelled the world, have not had to overcome.
The couple claim to have never had an argument – only a few quarrels here and there, snapping at one another once in a while.
Enid, who is 81, said: “We met at a dance and just fell in love, just like that.
You may also want to watch:
“I guess you can say the rest is history really. We were married on January 18, 1958.
“We went to the same school, which I think was Stowmarket Modern at the time, but lived at opposite ends of town.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 4 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 5 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 6 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 10 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
“We’ve had a wonderful marriage and I think part of our secret is that we give and take in our relationship.
“We make each other laugh and wouldn’t change each other for the world.
“We never had any children but travelled all over going to lots of places, to Europe in places like Austria and Iceland as well as Canada and America.”
The pair are also avid readers of the East Anglian Daily Times.
According to Enid, they have bought a copy of this newspaper every day of their 60 year marriage – and consider themselves lifelong readers.
She added: “We’ve always bought the Anglian and I think it is quite unusual that we’ve bought a newspaper every day.
“Roger used to go down and pick up an Anglian for exercise but now we get it delivered as we’ve got older. In all that time although it might be hard to believe we’ve never had an argument.
“We’ve snapped at each other a few times and got on each other’s nerves as everyone does from time to time.
“But we’ve never really gone at each other and had a full blown argument.”
Celebrations to mark the milestone anniversary are due to take place this weekend.
The couple said: “We are very excited, and have got all the family coming along to join us.
“We’re at a venue in town and we’re looking forward to seeing what has been planned.
“We’re very lucky to have a great family around us.”