Discarded cigarette butt sparks fire “several feet high” near shop in Colchester
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A fire chief has issued a warning to smokers after a discarded cigarette caused a pile of rubbish to go up in flames.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service was called to the blaze involving a heap of commercial waste, including cardboard boxes, at the rear of a shop in Short Wyre Street, Colchester, just before 9.40am today.
The fire was sparked by a cigarette butt which wasn’t fully stubbed out.
The blaze was extinguished by 10.15am and firefighters prevented smoke from drifting into the shop.
Leading firefighter Kevin Lay, of Colchester Fire Station, said: “This fire shows how important it is to ensure your cigarettes are fully out before you throw them away.
“In this case, there was the added hazard of flammable materials nearby which caused the fire to build so quickly - when we arrived it was several feet high.
“Our crews did extremely well to extinguish it as efficiently as they did and stop it spreading inside the building.”
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
- 10 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.
Two crews from Colchester attended.