Diss: Slipped disc can’t restrict optician Ben’s marathon vision
- Credit: Newsmakers
A snowboarding accident 10 weeks ago threatened to hinder Ben Conway’s marathon preparation.
But the 32-year-old trainee dispensing optician was determined to not let a back injury stop him raising money for charity.
Mr Conway, from Diss-based A Stodel - part of the Dipple & Conway family optometry firm started by his great-grandfather in 1916 - is running for Sheringham-based charity Break, which helps vulnerable children, young people and families.
“It’s going to be tough but I am determined to do it,” he said. “Friends, family and colleagues have promised to sponsor me, so it’s a matter of pride now.
“My brother Edmund ran the London Marathon in 3 hours 41 minutes two years ago. When I first agreed to run it I was determined to beat him and had big training plans. Instead my preparation has been limited to three 45-minute treadmill sessions in the gym.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Conway, who suffered a prolapsed vertebra in a snowboarding accident in the French Alps in January, hopes to raise £2,000 via his Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/Ben-Conway2.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex