Doctors of the future get a taste of medicine
Students from Essex and Suffolk considering a future in medicine got to try their hands at keyhole surgery and anaesthesia during a careers event.
Pupils at Colchester Sixth Form College, Colchester Royal Grammar School, Suffolk One and The Royal Hospital School took part in the day at The ICENI Centre.
Based at Colchester General Hospital the centre is a joint venture between the NHS trust and Anglia Ruskin University.
It includes a skills laboratory and mock operating theatre.
As well as having a go with and learning about the equipment the students also met a range of health professionals and current trainees to get an in-depth look at future career possibilities.
You may also want to watch:
Tan Arulampalam, consultant surgeon and clinical director of the centre, said: “We had absolutely incredible feedback, everyone seemed to enjoy it and have a lot of fun – especially with the practical things in the afternoon.
“There can be a lot of inequality in getting work experience so we said rather than go through the normal channels we will use the ICENI Centre to help our local people be the doctors of the future.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
Mr Arulampalam added the day would not have been possible with sponsorship by The Oaks Hospital and Ellisons Solicitors, and that he hopes to run the day twice a year to cater for high demand.