Search

Dog dies following fire on houseboat

PUBLISHED: 07:09 07 December 2019 | UPDATED: 07:09 07 December 2019

Crews were called to a fire at King Edward Quay in Colchester Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Crews were called to a fire at King Edward Quay in Colchester Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Archant

A dog has died after an electrical fire on a houseboat.

Essex County Fire and Rescue were called to King Edward Quay in Colchester on Friday, December 6 just after 7pm.

The houseboat's resident had returned home to find the boat filled with smoke.

Two engines from Colchester were called to the scene. Crews found the boat 100% smoke logged when they arrived and worked to have the fire extinguished by 8.04pm.

You may also want to watch:

Two dogs were rescued by the firefighters from the boat; crews used oxygen therapy to treat the Vizla cross dogs for smoke inhalation. One dog was given CPR.

One of the dogs did not survive.

Watch manager Ian Ryder said: "Despite the firefighter's best efforts, sadly one of the dogs died at the scene. Both dogs were left in the care of a vet.

"The cause of the fire was an electrical fire and it has been recorded as accidental."

The boat has been left with significant smoke damage following the fire.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times