Dog dies following fire on houseboat
- Credit: Archant
A dog has died after an electrical fire on a houseboat.
Essex County Fire and Rescue were called to King Edward Quay in Colchester on Friday, December 6 just after 7pm.
The houseboat's resident had returned home to find the boat filled with smoke.
Two engines from Colchester were called to the scene. Crews found the boat 100% smoke logged when they arrived and worked to have the fire extinguished by 8.04pm.
Two dogs were rescued by the firefighters from the boat; crews used oxygen therapy to treat the Vizla cross dogs for smoke inhalation. One dog was given CPR.
You may also want to watch:
One of the dogs did not survive.
Watch manager Ian Ryder said: "Despite the firefighter's best efforts, sadly one of the dogs died at the scene. Both dogs were left in the care of a vet.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 7 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
"The cause of the fire was an electrical fire and it has been recorded as accidental."
The boat has been left with significant smoke damage following the fire.