Search

Dog dies in flat fire caused by electrical fault

PUBLISHED: 08:45 16 January 2020 | UPDATED: 09:58 16 January 2020

Fire crews from Braintree and Witham attended the scene Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Fire crews from Braintree and Witham attended the scene Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Archant

A dog has died and a family left homeless after a fire caused by a fridge freezer scorched their flat.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to an address in Jeffrey's Road in Cressing, near Braintree, at 10.08am yesterday after neighbours heard smoke alarms had been set off.

Fire crews from Braintree and Witham entered the first floor flat, which was filled with smoke, before locating the fire in the kitchen.

The fire was put out by 10.49am.

The flat was left badly smoke damaged, with a dog sadly dying as a result of the incident.

Firefighters established the blaze was caused by an electrical fault with the fridge freezer in the kitchen.

Paul Burder, watch manager at Braintree Fire Station, said: "This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home and we want to encourage everyone to check they have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home.

"Make sure to test your smoke alarms weekly.

"If you or someone you know doesn't have working smoke alarms at home, we can fit them for free during a home safety visit."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times