Dog dies in flat fire caused by electrical fault
- Credit: Archant
A dog has died and a family left homeless after a fire caused by a fridge freezer scorched their flat.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to an address in Jeffrey's Road in Cressing, near Braintree, at 10.08am yesterday after neighbours heard smoke alarms had been set off.
Fire crews from Braintree and Witham entered the first floor flat, which was filled with smoke, before locating the fire in the kitchen.
The fire was put out by 10.49am.
The flat was left badly smoke damaged, with a dog sadly dying as a result of the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters established the blaze was caused by an electrical fault with the fridge freezer in the kitchen.
Paul Burder, watch manager at Braintree Fire Station, said: "This incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home and we want to encourage everyone to check they have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 4 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 5 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 6 Husband pays tribute to 'soulmate' and mum-of-four after cancer death
- 7 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 8 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 9 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 10 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
"Make sure to test your smoke alarms weekly.
"If you or someone you know doesn't have working smoke alarms at home, we can fit them for free during a home safety visit."