Dog pub lives up to its name with national dog-friendly award win
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The Dog pub in Grundisburgh has proved it deserves its name, after being chosen as the top dog-friendly pub in the UK.
The friendly inn came top in the DogBuddy Dog-friendly Pub Awards, beating 11 other regional finalists voted for by dog lovers across the country.
Landlords Eilir and Charles Rogers were delighted, saying: “We are very happy that so many other people think that we are as dog-friendly as we believe we are. We are incredibly touched by how many people voted for us.
“We have a lot of loyal customers who really support us - they wanted us to win as much as we did. It will also hopefully mean that more dog owners will know that there is a really dog-friendly place they can come where they will be made to feel very welcome by us, the staff and our regular customers.”
The traditional Suffolk pub, near Woodbridge, welcomes dogs in its bar, restaurant and gardens.
You may also want to watch:
Pooches have plenty to wag their tails about, with dog biscuits on arrival, as well as a water bowl - while their owners can enjoy local food and a family-friendly atmosphere. There is also the option for pet owners to pre-book a table together with their four-legged friend.
Overall, Suffolk is taking the lead as a place for dog lovers in the East of England, as its pubs scooped five places in the region’s top 10.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 6 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 7 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket
Three more pubs in the Woodbridge area made the list, with The Wilford Bridge at Melton coming fourth, The Maybush at Waldringfield eighth and The Fox Inn at Newbourne ninth, while Cult Cafe on Ipswich Waterfront took sixth place.
The full top 10 for the East of England was: 1. The Dog (Grundisburgh); 2. The Three Tuns (Buntingford); 3. The John Bunyan (St Albans); 4. The Wilford Bridge (Melton, Woodbridge); 5. The Crown Inn (Saffron Walden); 6. Cult Cafe (Ipswich); 7. The Chequers (Luton); 8. The Maybush (Waldringfield, Woodbridge); 9. The Fox Inn (Newbourne, Woodbridge); 10. The Crown Inn (Huntingdon).
Richard Setterwall, founder and CDO of dog-sitting platform DogBuddy.com, said of the winning pub: “The superb service demonstrated shows a real consideration for dog welfare and happiness. The whole DogBuddy pack is proud to congratulate The Dog at Grundisburgh.”