Dovercourt: Fesh appeal for witnesses to security guard robbery
DETECTIVES are renewing their appeal for witnesses to a robbery in north-east Essex, with the focus on the getaway route and style of the criminals.
The robbery happened in Dovercourt when two men physically assaulted a security guard outside Barclays Bank on Kingsway shortly before midday on Tuesday. The 62-year-old man from the Ipswich area was punched in the face, before he had a cash box containing a five-figure sum of cash stolen from him.
The two men got into a nearby white Ford Focus and sped off. This car was later found by police, abandoned on Knights Close in Lawford.
Enquiries revealed that it had been stolen during a burglary in Bramford in Suffolk on November 6. It has been recovered and is undergoing a forensic examination
The cashbox was found on the B1352 close to Lunnish Hill just outside Ramsey at 8am on Wednesday, November 28. It was empty.
Investigating Officer, Ds Tim Coyles, said: “Our main lines of enquiry relate to the getaway route that these two thieves took. We know it turned right at the top of Kingsway and then sped off towards Ramsey. Our initial appeal is for anyone who saw this car during this short journey. We don’t know the route they took. Our second appeal is for those motorists who saw the car travel from Ramsey, through Wrabness, into Bradfield, onto Mistley and then finally to the dump site in Lawford. These are all key witnesses. The Ford Focus shown is similar to that used in the robbery and hopefully it will trigger people’s memories due to its distinctiveness.”
The two men ran off towards the railway line between Lawford and Cattawade in Suffolk. They are described as being in their late 20s or early 30s, of slim build and were wearing dark clothing and black hoodies.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
- 3 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 4 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
- 5 'We want him to be effective' - McKenna on Celina
- 6 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 7 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 8 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 9 'It was too great a risk' - Ex Town defender Parr hangs up his boots
- 10 Interactive map reveals the Covid rate in every Suffolk neighbourhood
Anyone with information in connection with this robbery is urged to contact detectives at Clacton police station on 101.