Downpour blamed for spate of crashes as A14 blocked

ROADS across Suffolk were brought to a standstill after the wet weather conditions caused a spate of collisions.

ROADS across Suffolk were brought to a standstill after the wet weather conditions caused a spate of collisions.

Two people were taken to hospital after three crashes took place just yards apart from each other on the A14.

Traffic came to a complete standstill on the eastbound carriageway at the Copdock interchange for two hours – leaving road users stuck in mammoth tailbacks.

Emergency services were called to the busy Suffolk road shortly before 4pm yesterday after a lorry collided with a car.

You may also want to watch:

However, after arriving at the scene officers and paramedics discovered a further two crashes had taken place within the heavily congested area.

Tony Woodward, control room supervisor for Suffolk police said that the damp conditions had caused several crashes across the county.

Most Read

“The crashes are definitely due to the wet weather conditions,” he added.

“After having a relatively long dry spell, drivers are losing control of their vehicles because the change in weather conditions has had an effect on the wheels.”

A road closure was put in place while paramedics attempted to treat those injured and officers worked to clear the road.

Traffic jams built up as far as the Whitehouse interchange, with police advising road users to steer clear of the area.

Meanwhile, the wet weather also caused further road mayhem after a car veered off the road and ploughed into a tree on the A134 at Cockfield.

The incident, which took place 3.37pm, left the road partially blocked briefly and no one was injured.

Within an hour a further two car crashes left the same road completely blocked for more than an hour at Assington.

A further collision in Reydon left two people requiring medical treatment at James Paget Hospital, Gorleston. Their injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

The incident happened on the A1095 and left the road completely blocked.

Firefighters were called to a two car crash on Stirrups Lane in Corton which caused petrol to spill onto the road.

After arriving at the scene at 4pm they worked to ensure the surrounding area was safe.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus