Dream journey for fundraising duo set to follow Inca Trail
- Credit: Archant
A mother and daughter are preparing for an Andean adventure in aid of charity.
Anne Beckett-Allen spent 2014 running marathons and cycling hundreds of miles for Rosedale Funeral Home’s ‘10 for 10’ charity challenge, marking the firm’s 10th anniversary.
Mrs Beckett-Allen, a director of the company, which has branches across north Suffolk, said: “2015 is the year that I get to tick off something on my bucket list.
“I have always wanted to see the Inca Trail and when my mum mentioned that she would be interested in coming to Peru with me I couldn’t believe it.
“Helping so many people who have been bereaved of a mother, I realise how privileged I am to have my mum. We run together every week, but have never had a real adventure – just the girls.”
Mum, Sandra Rackham, is a member of the Diss branch of the Salvation Army. She said: “I have always dreamed of helping others abroad in some way but was unable to be away from such lengths of time because of family commitments, and I have always wanted to see Machu Picchu and the surrounding scenery so this will be a combined dream come true.”
The 10-day trek includes a stay in the Sacred Valley, near Cusco where the pair will help a community project with basic construction work, painting, decorating, gardening and refurbishing, as well as climbing 4,600m to Abra Salkantay to see the views of Mount Salkantay. They will set off in October after raising at least £2,000 each for the international work of the Salvation Army. They will fund the cost of the trek themselves.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 5 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 6 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 7 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 8 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 9 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
To lend your support with a donation, visit justgiving.com/AnneSandraTrekPeru.