Drink-driver who crashed into police car is disqualified
- Credit: Archant
A drink-driver who crashed her car into a police vehicle which was protecting drivers from a fallen tree has been disqualified from driving for 14 months.
Madelene Purkiss, 19, of Station Road in Wakes Colne, was driving her Ford Fiesta when it collided with the stopped police car in Hall Road at 10.25pm on Sunday, March 3.
Essex Police has said that their vehicle had all of its emergency lights on at the time of the collision, which was stopped in the road to secure a fallen tree during high winds, when Purkiss drove towards it at speed.
Purkiss then narrowly avoided colliding with one of the police officers and hit the wing mirror of the car. She failed to stop at the scene.
Officers followed her towards Wakes Colne, where she tested positive for driving under the influence of alcohol.
You may also want to watch:
She pleaded guilty to drink-driving at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, April 10.
In addition to her 14-month disqualification, Purkiss must pay a three-figure fine, a victim surcharge and court costs.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 8 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well