Drink-driver who crashed into police car is disqualified
- Credit: Archant
A drink-driver who crashed her car into a police vehicle which was protecting drivers from a fallen tree has been disqualified from driving for 14 months.
Madelene Purkiss, 19, of Station Road in Wakes Colne, was driving her Ford Fiesta when it collided with the stopped police car in Hall Road at 10.25pm on Sunday, March 3.
Essex Police has said that their vehicle had all of its emergency lights on at the time of the collision, which was stopped in the road to secure a fallen tree during high winds, when Purkiss drove towards it at speed.
Purkiss then narrowly avoided colliding with one of the police officers and hit the wing mirror of the car. She failed to stop at the scene.
Officers followed her towards Wakes Colne, where she tested positive for driving under the influence of alcohol.
You may also want to watch:
She pleaded guilty to drink-driving at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, April 10.
In addition to her 14-month disqualification, Purkiss must pay a three-figure fine, a victim surcharge and court costs.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 3 Car catches fire outside Morrisons store in Ipswich
- 4 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected
- 5 Timeline: When can you expect to receive the Covid vaccine?
- 6 Ipswich consider striker signing after Hawkins undergoes surgery
- 7 Parents 'distraught' after teenage boy is violently assaulted in Chantry
- 8 Covid rate falling across Suffolk and north Essex
- 9 Town have 27 first teamers available... And Taylor hints at the return of squad rotation
- 10 Plans to convert pub into takeaway refused