Drinkstone: Importance of two historic mills re-evaluated as part of a conservation area

How the Post Mill looked in 2005

How the Post Mill looked in 2005 - Credit: Archant

THE importance of two historic mills in a Suffolk village have been re-evaluated as part of a conservation area.

The mills, which date back to the 17th and 18th Centuries, in Drinkstone, near Stowmarket, have been hailed as a ‘well-kept secret’ in the village.

The Post Mill, built in 1689, is Grade-I listed and is a rare example of such a building. But the mill needs to be restored and is on both English Heritage and Suffolk County Council’s registers of ‘Buildings at Risk’.

Sharon Rose, clerk for Drinkstone Parish Council, said: “The mills are just between Drinkstone and Woolpit. They are important to local people who have lived here for a lot of years. The people are very keen to get the sails going again – it’s an important site for the village .

“A lot of older residents remember the mills working and have fond memories of it. Some people have lived here all their life and go back a long way.”

In 1949 the Post Mill was badly damaged and became derelict until it was renovated in 1962.

The late 18th century Smock Mill, which is Grade-II listed, was modernised in the early 20th Century so it could be powered by an oil engine. The conservation area also includes the Mill House which is Grade-II listed.

Most Read

Successive generations of the Clover family worked the mills from 1775.

A restoration project for the Post Mill of almost £150,000 began in 2005 but the work stopped when the owners had to re-locate.

Mid Suffolk District Council has been discussing the conservation area as part of its appraisal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter