Driver does a Britney Spears with toddler on lap
A MOTORIST has been fined after he was caught driving along with his little girl sat on his lap.
His actions have been likened to the infamous footage of pop star Britney Spears who was spotted doing the same thing with her son on her lap in 2006.
Essex Police have now urged parents to ensure their children are always strapped in after the incident in the South Woodham Ferrers area on Sunday.
The man was spotted travelling a short distance and police realised he was not in control of the car.
He was given a �60 fixed penalty notice and three penalty points on his licence.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant Danny Parsons of Chelmsford road policing unit said: “We regularly have cases where children are sitting on passengers in a car but this is the first time we have had a child on a driver’s lap.
“Had the car been travelling at speed and crashed the child could have been thrown through the windscreen and seriously injured or crushed by the airbag.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
“Luckily this driver was travelling only slowly for a short distance but he was clearly not in full control of the vehicle.
“If he had been driving at speed and on a busy road he could have been taken to court for dangerous driving and could have been heavily fined, banned or even jailed.”
Sgt Parsons stressed that drivers must always ensure children are secured in their own available seats for journeys and that younger children require approved seats appropriate to their age and height.