Driver fled to Lithuania after police found him urinating in crashed car

Ipswich Magistrates Court Picture: ARCHANT

Ipswich Magistrates Court Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: ARCHANT

A man who evaded justice for more than two years, after being found urinating at the wheel of a crashed car, has been handed a suspended prison sentence and ordered to carry out unpaid work.

Dzanetas Simanskas skipped bail and fled to Lithuania following his arrest on suspicion of being drunk in charge of a vehicle in Raglan Street, Lowestoft, at 10.30am on January 14, 2016.

The 25-year-old factory worker was subsequently charged with failing to provide a specimen for analysis, driving while uninsured and driving without a licence – but he failed to answer bail and appear before magistrates on February 11.

Simanskas, of London Road, Lowestoft, who has never taken a driving test in this country, finally appeared in custody at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court last Saturday, after being arrested in Lound that morning.

Prosecutor Michael Crimp said: “The defendant was in charge of a Renault Laguna which crashed into two parked vehicles.

“Two other occupants got out and left the scene, leaving the defendant slumped in the driver’s seat of the stationary vehicle.

“A member of the public called the police and two officers attended to find the defendant still in the driver’s seat, apparently urinating, with one hand still on the steering wheel.

Most Read

“He displayed the usual symptoms of someone having consumed too much alcohol and was uncooperative.

“When arrested and asked to provide a specimen of breath, he was awkward and obstructive.

“He failed to provide an adequate sample, choosing instead to stop breathing into the device and laugh.”

Duty solicitor Shade Abiodun told magistrates: “I have little to tell you about this gentleman. He has not been forthcoming with information and doesn’t have much to say about the offences.

“He failed to attend court and went back to Lithuania.”

Magistrates said Simanskas had deliberately failed to provide a specimen for analysis, was driving while highly impaired and caused a collision, before leaving the country and remaining at large.

They sentenced him to 12 weeks’ custody, suspended for 18 months, and ordered him to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

He was banned from driving for 30 months, fined £100, and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a statutory surcharge of £115 towards victim services.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter