Driver's remorse after hitting children

A MOTORIST whose car mounted the pavement and collided with a party of schoolchildren has spoken for the first time about the remorse and sadness she feels.

A MOTORIST whose car mounted the pavement and collided with a party of schoolchildren has spoken for the first time about the remorse and sadness she feels.

Police confirmed last month that a 41-year-old woman would not face charges over the crash in Worlingham, near Beccles, which left eight children in hospital.

The youngsters from Worlingham Middle School were on a supervised walk when the incident happened outside All Saints' Church on September 25 last year.

During a meeting between police, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and parents at Worlingham Middle School on Wednesday night, the Lowestoft woman issued a statement describing how there was not one day since the crash she didn't think about that “horrible” day.


You may also want to watch:


The statement read: “I am so sorry for the accident and everyone that got hurt. There is not one day I don't think about that horrible day.

“2009 was the worst year of my life. I want to try and put the accident behind me now.

Most Read

“As a parent myself I can understand how parents are upset and angry and if it was the other way round I would feel the same.”

“I am just full of remorse and sadness about the whole matter.

“As regarding myself driving at present I do not currently plan to re-apply yet. I have not driven since September 25, 2009.”

During the meeting Sgt Paul Ward of Suffolk police and the serious collision investigation team explained the reasons why the woman would not face criminal charges.

A CPS representative said it could not be proved beyond reasonable doubt that she had driven carelessly or dangerously.

After a medical assessment and a key witness statement it was believed she suffered an epileptic fit, having been an epileptic for around the past 30 years.

Depending on a medical review the woman could, by law, re-apply for her licence as early as April.

Following the meeting one relative said: “We understand that the lady who was driving the car was not at fault - she had no control over what happened. Everything has been explained very fully but the actual dealing with living with the accident is going to take a lifetime.”

The crash took place as mourners were preparing for the funeral of Beccles man Nathan Beglarian.

A number of children were pinned underneath the car and funeral-goer 22-year-old Richard Calver was trapped with a wheel on his chest.

Witnesses have since hailed him a hero after seeing him push some of the children out of the way of the car.

He said yesterday: “The meeting wasn't really helpful at all. We are no further forward than at the start. There are still a lot of questions to be answered.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus