Driver told police to ‘do one’ after third breath test request in five days

Stock image of a police officer carrying out a breathalyser test. Picture: PRESS ASSOCIATION

Stock image of a police officer carrying out a breathalyser test. Picture: PRESS ASSOCIATION - Credit: PA

A Suffolk man who refused police requests for a roadside breath test, after being pulled over three times in five days, has been banned from driving.

John Roberts, 33, told officers “0121 DO ONE” after he was pulled over in Mildenhall Road, Bury St Edmunds, in the early hours on Tuesday morning.

He had already been stopped and breathalysed twice since receiving a licence to drive the silver Renault Megane stopped by a police patrol car at about 2am.

Roberts, of Ipswich Court, Bury St Edmunds, gave negative readings for drink-driving in both instances, but refused to take a test on the third occasion.

Roberts had been due to appear in court via video link the same morning, but refused to leave his cell and was remanded to appear in person the following day.

You may also want to watch:

Colette Harper, prosecuting at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court, Ipswich, on Wednesday, said roads policing officers saw Roberts’ vehicle start up and pull away from Mildenhall Road. They followed and stopped the car, which also contained two female passengers.

Mrs Harper said officers could smell alcohol on Roberts’ breath and found a can of beer in the driver’s door pocket.

Most Read

She added: “He told them he had consumed beer a few hours earlier. When asked for a breath test, he said ‘I’m not giving you nuffink’.

“Officers said he smelled strongly of alcohol and was slurring his words.”

Roberts was taken to the police station and required to provide samples, but swore at officers and told them “0121 DO ONE”.

Roberts, who was disqualified from driving in 2002, also has five previous convictions for driving while disqualified and two for failing to provide samples.

Jeremy Kendall, representing Roberts, said: “When stopped for a third time, he got fed up and refused – the same reason for not appearing via video link in court.

“Police stopped him, I would suggest, because it was him driving the vehicle and he would be over the limit. From a police point-of-view, it was a fiar suspicion; from Mr Roberts’ point-of-view, it was harassment.”

Magistrates banned Roberts from driving for 18 months, giving him the chance to reduce the disqualification by a quarter if he completes a drink-driver rehabilitation course.

He was fined £100 and ordered to pay £80 in court charges.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus