Driving test scam man jailed
A MAN who was paid to take driving test theory exams for people wanting to obtain UK driving licences has been jailed for two years.
Sardar Melkan was arrested at the driving test theory centre in Ipswich and was found in possession of a driving licence belonging to a theory test candidate he was impersonating, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Judge John Devaux said Melkan was linked to 14 theory test candidates who he had either impersonated or arranged for someone else to impersonate. He said Melkan was financially motivated and his actions had the potential to endanger other road users. Melkan, 30, of no fixed address, admitted conspiring to obtain theory test certificates by deception.
Joanne Eley, prosecuting, said that in 2006 Melkan was arrested at the theory test centre in Ipswich for impersonating a candidate. Melkan was in possession of the candidate’s driving licence and during questioning he claimed that the candidate was a friend who he had been helping out.
Officers obtained a warrant to search Melkan’s room at the YMCA in Ipswich, where he had been staying, and found documents linking him to bookings for theory tests at centres around the country. They found that �20,000 had passed through Melkan’s bank account but by the time a restraint order was obtained for the account it was empty, said Miss Eley.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Hullock, for Melkan, said he come to the UK as an asylum-seeker and had been granted leave to remain in the country. He had suffered a breakdown after his father and brother were shot dead in 2006.
She said Melkan understood the wrong he had done by impersonating theory test candidates.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches