Record number of drug driving arrests in Essex
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A record number of people were arrested on suspicion of drug driving in Essex last month, according to police.
Essex Police made 184 drug driving arrests during November - surpassing the previous highest of 180 in April.
A new anti-drug driving campaign - in partnership with the Safer Essex Roads Partnership (SERP) - is due to launch on Wednesday.
Adam Pipe, head of roads policing, said: "We continue to arrest a huge number of people on suspicion of drug driving.
"We find that many drug drivers don't realise how long drugs stay in your system and they don't think they're going to get caught.
You may also want to watch:
"The reality is we've got more than 500 officers across the force trained to use drug wipes so you're more likely to be caught drug driving in Essex than ever before.
"And just because you don't look or feel stoned, or don't feel that your driving is impaired there is a drug driving limit and if you're over that you'll be arrested.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
"The consequences of drug driving are really serious. You could lose your licence, your job, and your home. Even worse you could kill yourself or someone else.
"In the coming days we'll be launching an anti-drug driving campaign which aims to raise awareness of the issue.
"We want drug drivers to ask themselves if the high is worth the low?".
The number of drug driving arrests in Essex so far this year stands at 1,675.
The total number for 2018 was 1,039 and in 2017 it was 754.
Also in November 128 people were arrested on suspicion of drink driving and 26 on suspicion of failing to provide a specimen.